Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Nirmala's Writings Part II


Intense emotions

Love has so many shades to it.  From fleeting butterfly kisses to raging infernos that are poised to consume you.
If love can be that intense, hate seems so akin to two peas in a pod.  Almost a negative and a positive.  Both need to be there to generate that electricity that compels you to experience the heights of a deep loving emotion.  At the same time the corrosive, explosive feelings of hate that can rip your insides and shred your equilibrium.

I think everyone has these feelings.  Some sew-saw through the journey, while others experience it depending on the circumstances.

If you visualise the two emotions I would say it seems like a fluffy teddy bear being strangled by an anaconda.
It all depends on the personality of the individual.  The choice you make to explore, encourage and nurture love or let hate become the overwhelming factor. 

Both have far reaching consequences.  Love can clothe you like frosting.  It settles on your face, decking a smile, showing the joy that twinkles from eyes that peep right out of  your soul, proving to be windows of the heart. 

Hate on the other hand shrouds you in darkness.  It twists your thoughts, pours acid into your soul, while you sew random boughts of viciousness.

Most often it happens in different scenarios, but the challenge is when both collide and concern one person.

When love struggles to keep treading water, while hate is just over the invisible border.
Hate seems to be more powerful, it wreathes, jostles, pummels and tries its best to be the stronger contender in the ring of life.  The person who looks with eyes of love, most often sees beyond the horrific circumstances that most often encircle the situation.

Which one would I choose when life comes to that cross road.  I think love has the power to slay hate and cut it at the knees before it can stand up and take its place in the ring.

Love conquers all while hate forces you to stand alone.

 By Nirmala Paiva




13, January, 2012
My Point of view

I lay relaxed on the side of Raymond’s desk by the window. His study was cosy.  I gazed out and saw the Na tree stretching in the morning sun. I admired her leaves, a blushing pink to maroon, tender green and boughs of darker green. Na always stood out flaunting her array of colourful leaves. I wondered what would happen to her when it was time to make room for another like her.  Would she be used for furniture or would she hold up the roof in some ones home.
I thought of the time I stood on the fringes of the Singharaja.  My satin streaked belly was always in great demand.  I knew my siblings had all been used for elegant cabinets turned out in Moratuwa.  I was special an HB2 pencil.

Raymond my boss was an architect.  I was the one who helped him to draw to life those nuggets deep in his mind into major projects.  I would have to wait patiently as he first flipped me this way, then that way, dragging my face across a white hard sheet of paper. I enjoyed being in his capable hands. I didn’t mind the doodling.  This went on for days.  Then he would drop me with a thud and ouch how come he did not realize it hurt.  I have my feelings.  I needed some care. I did not want to chip my point.  Did he not know I like certain types of textures.  I performed best on hand made or dung paper.

Did I actually say that disgusting word?  But I could see a pile of pink edged mauve paper with petals pressed into her corners.  Dungo was very elegant. Handmade I overheard him saying.  He used that pack only for special occasions when he wrote to female clients about the description of his plans.

I had this secret longing to feel Dungo’s  presence. I eyed her quietly sprawled in the bottom tray.  Did she not know that I wanted her to come out?  I wanted to trace her uneven lines and the petals softly folded on the edge.  I sighed.  When will this day come?

The sharp breeze from the window pushed me and I quickly rolled over to her side.
Would she see me? I came to rest by the tray with a click. Did I look alright?  Was my shiny blue and black attire appealing to her?

The lamp shade sniggered down at me.  He had a light in his head so everything was obviously clear to him.  I could feel him looking down at me disdainfully.

Then suddenly a gust of wind as Raymond’s son abruptly opened the door and dashed over to his Dad’s desk.  He was on his mobile.  “Hold on let me grab a bit of paper and jot the message down.”  He riffled through the trays and gosh he pulled out one of Dungo’s swaths of paper.  I held my breath.  I hoped my telepathic thoughts would get to him. “Come on I can do it for you.” Yes yes, he picked me up and then as he held me over Dungo I knew that moment had come.  He held me firmly and wrote in swift strokes.  “Tell her that my point of view is far more effective and should drop the other option.”

I finally knew what she felt like.  She was perfumed in a sort of Jasmine.  I drowned.  My face rubbed against her and she felt kind of skinny because it was not petals but onion skins.  She still felt good.  She had a sort of mystery because she was not even, but all full of nodules and streaks.

I smiled at her.  My voice came out in a gush, “you have such an interesting skin.”

I suddenly felt unsure of myself. Just a pencil.  She was sophisticated.  Then I heard her say a voice that did not match my expectations, “that may be your point of view but your blunt approach is not acceptable.”
Take your face off mine, I prefer Parker his expressions are in quink and he cannot be altered like you. Whenever a bit of rubber falls over you, you willingly change, that makes you the fickle type.”
“No sir, get off my page.”

I heard the lampshade snigger and my world went black.

By Nirmala Paiva




12th March, 2012
This World is for Geeks

It’s a new language. Wi-Fi, wireless,  iPad and iPhone were never in our oxford dictionaries.  Yesterday we knew a mouse that ate just cheese, but in a flash the game changed through cyber space and the future today is obsolete.

Technology has linked people, bringing communication to such a peak that a catastrophe on one side of the globe is worldwide news within a few minutes.

How come this has not been reflected on all those who use these millions of gadgets that have been produced in a billion dollar world.
Though communication brings us all closer and closer, the human race seems to grow further and further apart.

Sit at a coffee shop and you will find lovers filled with excitement over a new iPhone.
Eyes aglow from the reflection of a screen rather than from heated emotions. Fingers swiping rather than clinging together, music throbbing instead of a thumping heart, while the ring tone is calypso. So close and yet, the information highway is the invisible dividing gulf.
An SMS seems quicker than raising your head and telling your colleague sitting next to you that there is a meeting scheduled for the next day. A cold text message now takes precedence over the warmth of a human voice.

Our techy world brings isolation and loneliness which in turns breeds depression.
Love affairs in chat rooms with faces that float through face book, but actually don’t resemble the actual person behind those keys.
How can one discern the truth?  Yesterdays chat with an exciting young man, was after all a transvestite who is over 60.

Now technology has its menacing side to it.  You could fall into the clutches of a child molester or a human trafficker.
New task forces are being formed that train cyber police to catch the hacker and the man who leaks out confidential information to the world.
Nothing is secret or predicatable anymore.

An executive sits at her computer and strikes a hit, rediscovering a boy friend she had during her school days.  An exciting tirade of messages float across the oceans, slicing through insurmountable barriers. An innocent friendship spirals into an illicit romance.
They are both in their late 50’s.  Excitement mounts as skype messages and SMS get entangled in reminiscing and coy moments of yesterday.

Meanwhile on the other side of the globe a hacker creeps into that very same page.
The hacker now has valuable but explosive material in his hand.  The power is all his as he makes that fatal call to the old boyfriend’s wife in the drama.  He tantalizers the furious wife with proof of a torrid relationship.  He bates her and demands a US$ 1,000 for the incriminating material.  Money changes hands and the e-mails describing the emotions evoked as they walked down memory lane are now in the hands of the cheated wife.

Confrontation. Denials. Arguments. Bitter venom. A 23 year old marriage lies in shambles.  Grown children watch with horror and disgust as their parents tumble into yet another statistic of failed relationships.  The marriage is no more.  The fabric of life is torn asunder.

The ragged boyfriend sits in front of his skype.  Her name is wiped off his screen but the episode is scorched across his heart.  A cyber explosion.  He turned into a mouse, while he sits alone in the glow of his iPad, minus a spouse.

Are you a victim of technology or a high tech communicator?



                                                                                                                        By Nirmala Paiva



No comments:

Post a Comment